Influenza is inactivated by UV-C light, also known as Germicidal ultraviolet light which is emitted from UV-C lamps. UV-C Lamps inactivate bacteria, mold, and virus that may be present in the air, on surfaces, and in water. Our products use STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV-C Lamps producing ultraviolet wavelengths at 254 nanometers, the region of germicidal effectiveness most destructive to harmful microorganisms including Influenza type A & B Virus, also known as seasonal Flu .
Influenza Classification & UV Dose for Inactivation
|Organism:||Alternate Name:||Types:||Disease:||UV Dose*:|
|Influenza||–||A & B||Flu||6,600 mJ/cm2|
Influenza (flu) is a contagious respiratory illness caused by the influenza virus. It can cause mild to severe illness. Serious outcomes of flu infection can result in hospitalization or death. There are two main strains of influenza, type A and type B, which are both responsible for seasonal flu epidemics each year.
Those who are at a higher risk of catching this virus include people who are already immune compromised, elderly, pregnant woman, and children.
How the flu spreads
People with flu can spread it to others up to about 6 feet away. Most experts think that flu virus spreads mainly by droplets made when people with flu cough, sneeze, or talk. These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby, or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Less often, a person might get flu by touching a surface or object that has flu virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes.
People with flu are most contagious in the first three to four days after their illness begins. Most healthy adults may be able to infect others beginning 1 day before symptoms develop and up to 5 to 7 days after becoming sick. Children and some people with weakened immune systems may pass the virus for longer than 7 days.
Influenza Symptoms Include:
- Fever* or feeling feverish/chills
- Sore throat
- Runny or stuffy nose
- Muscle or body aches
- Fatigue (tiredness)
- Some people may have vomiting and diarrhea, though this is more common in children than adults.
*It’s important to note that not everyone with flu will have a fever.
All People–specifically those who are immune-compromised, elderly, pregnant women, and children
Where can it
Contaminated Respiratory Droplets
What can it infect?
Headaches, Fever, and Body Aches
How can it be contracted?
* Nominal Ultraviolet dosage necessary to inactivate better than 99% of microorganisms. See sources below.
- “The Use of Ultraviolet Light for Microbial Control”, Ultrapure Water, April 1989.
- William V. Collentro, “Treatment of Water with Ultraviolet Light – Part I”, Ultrapure Water, July/August 1986.
- James E. Cruver, Ph.D., “Spotlight on Ultraviolet Disinfection”, Water Technology, June 1984.
- Dr. Robert W. Legan, “Alternative Disinfection Methods-A Comparison of UV and Ozone”, Industrial Water Engineering, Mar/Apr 1982.
- Myron Lupal, “UV Offers Reliable Disinfection”, Water Conditioning & Purification, November 1993.
- Bak Srikanth, “The Basic Benefits of Ultraviolet Technology”, Water Conditioning & Purification, December 1995.
For More Information, Visit:
Learn More & Shop Our Products to Inactivate Influenza
Made in the USA from U.S. & Imported Parts, the air purification systems from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials to withstand the most demanding applications. Many applications can benefit from germicidal UV-C, including those seeking to prevent the flu.
SANITAIRE® Ultraviolet (UV-C) Room Air Sanitizers protect room occupants from infection due to flu and airborne microbes, particularly in crowded or poorly ventilated areas, and in situations where the risk of cross-infection is high. The SANITAIRE® can effectively destroy flu and airborne microbes including bacteria, mold, and virus in enclosed occupied spaces. SANITAIRE® Room Air Sanitizers utilize STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps, which are completely enclosed within a stainless steel and reflective aluminum exposure chamber and are safe for use in rooms whether occupied or unoccupied.
Learn Here! Ultraviolet.com
- Download Air & Surface Disinfection Documents from our PDF Library
- View all our Blog Posts for Flu Prevention
- View all the applications that can benefit from Germicidal UV-C
- Learn about STER-L-RAY® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps
Shop Here! BuyUltraviolet.com
- Shop SANITAIRE® UV Room Air Sanitizers
- Shop STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV Lamps
- Compare all models with our UV-C Air & Surface Comparison Chart
Contact Our UV Application Specialists
- Call 1-631-273-0500, Monday – Friday 7am to 6pm EST
- Email Sales@AtlanticUV.com
- Fill out our contact form