What are Adenoviruses?
Adenoviruses are common viruses that can cause cold-like symptoms like a fever, sore throat, bronchitis, pneumonia, diarrhea, and pink eye. In rare cases (for individuals with weakened immune systems or existing respiratory or cardiac disease), these viruses can cause serious illness.
Preventing the Spread of Adenoviruses
Since these viruses are usually spread from person to person though the air, by close personal contact, or by touching surfaces, prevention involves taking the following measures :
- Avoid close contact with sick people
- Wash your hands with soap and water
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth
Our products use STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV-C Lamps producing ultraviolet wavelengths at 254 nanometers, the region of germicidal effectiveness most destructive to harmful microorganisms including Adenoviruses. Germicidal Ultraviolet (UV-C) surface disinfection will inactivate these viruses at the dosage listed below.
Adenoviruses: Classification & UV-C Dose for Inactivation
|Organism:||Alternate Name:||Type:||Disease:||UV Dose*:|
|Adenovirus Type 2||—||Virus||—||78 mJ/cm2|
|Adenovirus Type 4||—||Virus||—||34 mJ/cm2|
|Adenovirus Type 5||—||Virus||—||92 mJ/cm2|
|Adenovirus Type 6||—||Virus||—||77 mJ/cm2|
|Adenovirus Type 40||—||Virus||—||99 mJ/cm2|
|Adenovirus Type 41||—||Virus||—||116 mJ/cm2|
Where can it be found?
What can it infect?
How does it spread?
People at High Risk for Contracting an Infection
People with the following characteristics are at a higher risk for developing a serious illness:
- Weakened immune systems
- Respiratory disease
- Cardiac disease
Symptoms & Treatment
There is no specific treatment for people with an Adenovirus infection. Most infections are mild and may only require care to help relieve symptoms, such as over-the-counter pain medicines or fever reducers. Symptoms usually include:
- common cold or flu-like symptoms
- sore throat
- acute bronchitis (inflammation of the airways of the lungs, sometimes called a “chest cold”)
- pneumonia (infection of the lungs)
- pink eye (conjunctivitis)
- acute gastroenteritis (inflammation of the stomach or intestines causing diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and stomach pain)
Less common symptoms of infection include:
- bladder inflammation or infection
- neurologic disease (conditions that affect the brain and spinal cord)
Sources on Adenoviruses
The above information can be found on the following pages. Please read complete articles to learn more.
* Nominal germicidal UV dosage necessary to inactivate better than 99% of microorganism. See sources below.
- James E. Cruver, Ph.D., “Spotlight on Ultraviolet Disinfection”, Water Technology, June 1984.
Learn More & Shop Our Products to Inactivate Adenoviruses
Made in the USA from U.S. and imported parts, the UV Air & Surface Disinfection product lines from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials and use germicidal UV-C lamps to disinfect air and surfaces, inactivating microorganisms like Adenoviruses.
Learn Here! Ultraviolet.com
- Download UV-C Air & Surface Documents from our PDF Library
- View all our Blog Posts for UV-C Air & Surface Disinfection
- View all the applications that can benefit from Germicidal UV-C
- Learn about STER-L-RAY® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps
Shop Here! BuyUltraviolet.com
- Shop UV-C Air & Surface Disinfection
- Shop STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV Lamps
- Compare all UV-C Air & Surface Disinfection models
Contact Our UV Application Specialists
- Call (631) 273-0500, Monday–Friday 7am to 6pm EST
- Email Sales@AtlanticUV.com
- Fill out our contact form