Boil Water Alerts are issued to protect the public from pathogens that may have contaminated public water. If microorganisms such as E. coli, salmonella, and Giardia are ingested, illness can occur. Symptoms range from headaches and cramping to diarrhea. In severe cases, hospitalization and even death can occur. In order to disinfect water during a boil water alert, take steps to lessen the inconvenience at home or keep the doors open at your business.
3 Water Treatment Options During a Boil Water Notice
The EPA and CDC recommend you bring the water to a rolling boil for 1 minute (3 minutes at elevations higher than 2,000 meters, or 6,561 feet). Then, allow the water to cool thoroughly before use.
Plain, unscented, household chlorine bleach is used. Proper precautions must be taken to avoid overdosing and chemical mishaps. Refer to the EPA’s guideline found on their website for appropriate dosage.
Automatic and chemical free, UV-C takes much of the hassle out of the Boil Water Alert situation. Systems can be installed point-of-entry (POE) for full home or facility disinfection, or point-of-use (POU) for specific disinfection such as at a sink, or in-line with an ice maker or coffee machine.
UV-C Water Purifiers from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation Safely Disinfect Water During a Boil Water Alert
One advantage of Atlantic Ultraviolet’s UV-C water disinfection systems for treatment is their ability to effectively disinfect water during a boil water alert. Virtually all microorganisms are susceptible to ultraviolet disinfection from STER-L-RAY ® UV-C Lamps . These low pressure lamps produce ultraviolet wavelengths at 254 nanometers, a level that deactivates microorganisms’ DNA and stops their ability to reproduce. The lamps require little power to operate and produce the lethal dosage without generating an abundance of heat.
UV-C systems require very little maintenance — just occasional quartz sleeve cleaning and UV lamp replacement about once a year or every 10,000 hours of operation — making them economical to operate. Models come with standard and optional safety features that will alert of system malfunctions. You have peace of mind knowing your system continues to deactivate all harmful virus, bacteria, and cysts including E. coli, Giardia, and Salmonella.
6 UV-C Water Disinfection Product Lines from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation®
- Bio-Logic® Ultraviolet Water Purifiers
- Bio-Logic® UV Water Purifier with Pure Water Pack™
- MINIPURE® Ultraviolet Water Purifiers
- Ultimate™ UV Water Purifiers
- MIGHTY★PURE® Ultraviolet Water Purifiers
- SANITRON® Ultraviolet Water Purifiers
- MEGATRON® Ultraviolet Water Disinfection Systems
Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® has been a leader in UV-C technology and manufacturing since 1963. Our UV Application Specialists can assist you in selecting the right installation point and system for your needs – giving you peace of mind when the next Boil Water Alert is issued.
Learn More & Shop Our Products
Made or Assembled in the USA of Type 304 or Type 316 stainless steel, the UV water treatment systems from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials and use germicidal UV-C lamps to purify water. Many residential, commercial, and industrial applications can benefit from germicidal UV-C. For more information on UV-C for water disinfection during boil water advisories, visit our application-specific page.
Learn Here! Ultraviolet.com
- Learn about UV Water & Liquid Purifiers
- Download Ultraviolet Water Documents from our PDF Library
- Visit our Application-Specific Page: UV-C for Water Disinfection During Boil Water Advisories
- View all the applications that can benefit from Germicidal UV-C
- Learn about STER-L-RAY® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps
Video & PowerPoint
- View our Boil Water Alert PowerPoint presentation on SlideShare
- Watch our Boil Water Alert video on YouTube
Shop Here! BuyUltraviolet.com
- Shop UV Water Purifiers for use during Boil Water Advisories
- Shop STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV Lamps
- Compare all models with our UV Water Purifier Comparison Chart
Contact Our UV Application Specialists
- Call 1-631-273-0500, Monday – Friday 7am to 6pm EST
- Email Sales@AtlanticUV.com
- Fill out our contact form