When your water test fails, installing an appropriately-sized Atlantic Ultraviolet water disinfection system will assist in getting your water back to the EPA required zero total coliform count. The CDC states that a Germicidal UV-C Purifier is highly effective in eliminating virtually all bacteria (E. coli, Campylobacter, Salmonella, Shigella), protozoa (Cryptosporidium and Giardia), and virus (Enteric, Hepatitis A, Norovirus, Rotavirus).
Our engineers developed the SANITRON®, MINIPURE®, MIGHTY★PURE®, and Bio-Logic® Ultraviolet Water Purifiers to provide continuous, chemical-free water purification, and more importantly, peace of mind. There is no risk of overdosing, no chemical storage, and no chemical expenses. Since these systems are low maintenance, they only require occasional quartz sleeve cleaning and lamp replacement every 10,000 hours or approximately once a year.
4 Steps to Select an Atlantic Ultraviolet Water Disinfection System
1. Find Your Flow Rate in Gallons Per Minute (GPM)
Our water purifiers are made with peak flow in mind. We typically recommend as follows:
- 1 bathroom = 6 GPM
- 2-4 bathrooms = 12 GPM
- 5 bathrooms = 20 GPM
2. Select a UV-C Purifier that Fits your GPM and Water Disinfection Needs
All of our lines use STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal Ultraviolet (UV-C) Lamps which are shortwave, low pressure tubes that produce ultraviolet wavelengths lethal to microorganisms. Approximately 95% of the ultraviolet energy emitted from STER-L-RAY ® germicidal lamps is at 254 nanometers, the region of germicidal effectiveness most destructive to bacteria, mold, and virus.
Point-of-Entry (POE) or Point-of-Use (POU)
- POE installs before or at the water source’s entry to your home and provides continuous disinfection to all water plumbed downstream from the unit through your house.
- POU installs directly at the site of use and provides treatment only to the water coming from that treated location, such as the kitchen or bathroom sink.
- Designed for Point-of-use installation.
- For Residential Applications within 1.5 to 3.0 GPM range.
- Bio-Logic® Pure Water Pack™ includes 1.5 GPM UV-C Water Purifier, a sediment and carbon filter, as well as an installation kit that includes tubing, a saddle valve, and a long reach faucet.
- For residential applications within the 1 to 9 GPM range.
- Standard with lamp indicator lights that show lamp operation, as well as a Promate™ Audio Alarm that alerts the user of system malfunctions.
- Residential or commercial use and ranges from 3 to 20 GPM.
- Standard with a sight port, drain fitting, and a patented dual-action manual wiper mechanism that cleans its quartz sleeves.
- MIGHTY★PURE® models MP36C (12 GPM) and MP49C (20 GPM) are available with Certification for NSF®/ANSI Standard 55 — Ultraviolet Microbiological Water Treatment Systems.
- Residential, commercial, or industrial applications within the 3 to 416 GPM range
- Modular units can be added or removed to adapt to a greater or lesser GPM as needs change over time.
- Standard with a sight port, drain fitting, and patented dual-action manual wiper mechanism that cleans its quartz sleeves.
- SANITRON® Models S37C, S50C, and S2400C comply with NSF®/ANSI 61 and 372 — Drinking Water System Component — Health Effects and Lead Content.
There are many standard and optional features that can assist with your UV-C disinfection system’s operation. Since they vary among the different products, we suggest reviewing our Ultraviolet Water Purifier Comparison Chart. You can also contact one of our UV Application Specialists. They will ask you for specific information regarding why your water test failed, and for information regarding any other water treatment such as water softeners, conditioners, or filtration systems you already use. This information will make sure the Atlantic Ultraviolet water purifier they recommend will assist you in passing future water tests.
3. Disinfect “Downstream” Plumbing
Once you’ve completed your UV-C disinfection system’s plumbing hook-ups, it’s recommended that you disinfect the “downstream” plumbing between the purifier and point of use. This is done by introducing chlorine or another disinfectant solution directly into the purifier chamber; 100ppm of chlorine is suggested. With the disinfectant in the purifier chamber, turn on the ultraviolet purifier. Open the “downstream” outlet until a chlorine or disinfectant odor is noticed. Close the outlet and allow the disinfectant to remain in the plumbing for at least 3 hours. Flush the plumbing with ultraviolet purified water and allow the water to run for a minimum of 5 minutes before use (to ensure no chlorine or disinfectant smell can be detected). This practice will allow the chlorine or disinfectant to be flushed through the pipes.
4. Install a System that Fits your Water Purification Needs
Your Atlantic Ultraviolet UV water purifier will provide continuous disinfection, virtually eliminating all bacteria, virus, and fungi from the water. However, with a variety of contaminants possible in your water, your disinfection procedure could require a series of treatments, outside from using an Ultraviolet Water Purifier, to improve groundwater quality. Locate your UV-C purifier after all of the other disinfection devices to reduce the possibility of the purified water being re-contaminated by bacteria in any of these units.
Learn More & Shop Our Products
Made or Assembled in the USA of high quality stainless steel, the UV water treatment systems from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials and use germicidal UV-C lamps to purify water. Many applications can benefit from a germicidal UV-C purifier, including homes or facilities that have received a failed water test. For more information on UV-C water disinfection for failed water tests, visit our application-specific page.
Learn Here! Ultraviolet.com
- Learn about UV Water & Liquid Purifiers
- Download Ultraviolet Water Documents from our PDF Library
- Visit our Application-Specific Page: UV-C for Failed Water Tests
- View all the applications that can benefit from Germicidal UV-C
- Learn about STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps
Shop Here! BuyUltraviolet.com
- Shop UV Water Purifiers for use When You Have a Failed Water Test
- Shop STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal UV Lamps
- Compare all models with our UV Water Purifier Comparison Chart
Need help? Call Our UV Specialists at 1-631-273-0500, Monday – Friday 7am to 6pm EST or fill out our contact form.