Last Updated on July 26, 2018
Pool water can potentially expose swimmers to billions of infectious microorganisms. Chlorine is the most common water disinfection treatment. Unfortunately, it does not kill all unwanted water bacteria and has its own unhealthy side effects. There is a rise of waterborne illness outbreaks in recent years. Ultraviolet pool disinfection can supplement chemical treatments and provide an increase in protection. The MEGATRON® Ultraviolet Water Disinfection System is the most feature-packed unit in our lineup. Its modular design makes it compatible with nearly any aquatic center, spa, or water park — just to name a few.
According to the CDC, 2003–2012 saw nearly double the number of illness outbreaks associated with aquatic centers than what was reported from 1993–2002. Their Model Aquatic Health Code (MAHC) recommends adding a supplemental water treatment, such as ultraviolet disinfection.
Benefits of Ultraviolet Pool Disinfection Treatment
- Uses Germicidal Lamps which are shortwave, low pressure tubes that produce ultraviolet wavelengths lethal to microorganisms.
- Virtually all microorganisms are susceptible, including those not killed by chlorine, such as Cryptosporidium.
- Controls bacteria, algae, and slime formation — which drastically reduces the need for chlorine.
Reduce Chlorine Needs for a Healthier Aquatic Environment
The distinct smell of the pool is not chlorine, but chloramines. Chloramines are a result of a chemical reaction when ammonia from skin cells, sweat, and bodily fluids mixes with the chlorine in the water. For some people, it causes irritation of the respiratory tract, skin, and eyes.
Chloramines are also the cause of corrosion in aquatic areas. They wreak havoc on pool components such as filters and pumps. Ultraviolet pool disinfection is a chemical-free method of treatment.
MEGATRON® Provides Continuous Disinfection without Special Attention
Standard features, such as the manual or optional automatic wiper, facilitate regular cleaning of the quartz sleeve without disassembly or shutdown. The water continues to receive disinfection.
NEMA style electrical enclosure and disinfection chamber are constructed of type 316 stainless steel, and are passivated and electropolished. This system has been designed to resist corrosion, giving ultimate durability in aquatic center applications.
UV Purification is Economical
- A modular design with 4 models means the application’s water treatment needs can be matched with the right size unit.
- Models each use between 4 and 19 STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal UV Lamps with instant start technology.
- Designed for longevity and reduced maintenance time, STER-L-RAY ® lamps require little energy to operate and have approximately 10,000 hours of continuous use.
- Less chemical purchase and use.
- Less wear-and-tear on pool components.
- Increase of the overall health and longevity of the aquatic center.
Made in the USA of type 316 stainless steel, the UV water treatment systems from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials and use germicidal ultraviolet lamps to purify water.
For more information on the MEGATRON® Ultraviolet Water Purifier visit our MEGATRON® overview page or download the MEGATRON® brochure.
For more information on Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps visit Ultraviolet.com
Need help? Call Our UV Specialists at 1-631-273-0500, Monday – Friday 7am to 6pm EST
For more company or product info, visit Ultraviolet.com
To make purchase, visit BuyUltraviolet.com