Last Updated on January 5, 2024
The USDA recognizes ultraviolet for its ability to safely and efficiently decontaminate meat and processing facilities without the use of chemicals. Air and surface irradiation systems, as well as ultraviolet water purification systems, fight against meat contamination hazards by using germicidal lamps which are shortwave, low pressure tubes that produce ultraviolet wavelengths lethal to microorganisms. These lamps emit UV rays at 254 nanometers—a wavelength that is highly lethal to bacteria, virus, fungi, protozoa, and other microorganisms. Ultraviolet radiation dissociates the DNA structure of the pathogens exposed, inhibiting their ability to reproduce.
UV-C Germicidal Eradication Dosage
UV-C is lethal to virtually all microorganisms with the proper dosage, including pathogenic bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Salmonella, and Listeria monocytogenes. UV-C can be implemented as part of your HACCP compliance. Mitigate contamination risks as apart of HACCP controls throughout your facility with air, surface, and water UV-C treatment.
Successful treatment depends on the proper dose of UV light. Multiple factors determine the precise dosage for treatment of air, surfaces, or water. The following are areas of consideration for adequate dosage:
- Size of air or surface disinfection area, or gallons per minute to be treated
- The frequency of treatment—whether continuous, between slaughters or personnel shifts, or during major disinfection cleanings
- Distance to the treatment surface
- Specific microorganisms to be deactivated
Atlantic Ultraviolet’s highly trained UV Application Specialists will work with you to determine the appropriate dosage for your specific needs.
Mitigation of Air and Surface Bacteria Contamination Hazards
Successful disinfection of meat contamination hazards depends on germicidal ultraviolet wavelengths having unobstructed exposure to the treatment surfaces or water and liquid. Install UV-C fixtures in all phases of production. Stop cross-contamination of pathogenic bacteria at the source.
UV-C for Ready-to-Eat Meat and Poultry Product FSIS Rule
SaniLIGHT® Germicidal Ultraviolet Irradiators and Sani·Ray® Germicidal Ultraviolet Fixtures disinfect surfaces involved with the preparation of ready-to-eat meat (RTE). UV-C in the proper dosage is lethal to Listeria monocytogenes. UV-C is approved by the USDA to provide treatment as an anti-microbial agent or post-lethality treatment and complies with the RTE FSIS rule
Avoid Meat Contamination Hazards By Reducing Water Risks with UV-C
Atlantic Ultraviolet’s SANITRON® and MEGATRON® UV Water Purifiers provide adequate disinfection through sufficient exposure time and the intensity of UV-C rays. With the ability to interconnect units, both models can treat virtually any flow rate capacity. This capability ensures that no matter the GPM needed, water receives the proper UV-C dosage. Our UV Application Specialists will help you determine if your needs require standard STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal UV-C Lamps or STER-L-RAY ® High Output (HO) Lamps. High Output (HO) germicidal UV lamps are similar in size and shape to conventional germicidal UV lamps but are capable of operating at higher UV output. Both types of STER-L-RAY ® lamps emit the same powerful UV-C dosage needed to counteract meat contamination hazards.
Learn More about Meat Processing & Shop Our Products
Made in the USA, the air purification and water disinfection systems from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials to withstand the most demanding applications. Many applications can benefit from germicidal UV-C, including those seeking to improve their meat processing facilities.
For more information on meat processing— including how UV Disinfection reduces meat contamination hazards in the air, on surfaces, and in water — visit our application-specific page.
Learn Here! Ultraviolet.com
- Learn about UV Air & Surface Disinfection Fixtures
- Learn about UV Water & Liquid Purifiers
- Learn about STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps
- Visit our Application-Specific Page: UV-C in Meat Processing Facilities
- View all the applications that can benefit from Germicidal UV-C
Shop Here! BuyUltraviolet.com
- Shop UV Air & Surface Fixtures for Meat Processing
- Shop UV Water & Liquid Purifiers for Meat Processing
- Shop STER-L-RAY ® Germicidal UV Lamps
- Compare All UV Air & Surface Disinfection Models with our Comparison Chart
- Compare All UV Water Purifier Models with our Comparison Chart
Contact Our UV Application Specialists
- Call (631) 273-0500, Monday – Friday 7am to 6pm EST
- Email Sales@AtlanticUV.com
- Fill out our contact form