Last Updated on January 8, 2024
What is Hepatitis A?
Hepatitis A is a highly contagious, short-term liver infection. People who get it may feel sick for a few weeks to several months but usually recover completely and do not have lasting liver damage. In rare cases, this virus can cause liver failure and even death; this is more common in older people and in people with other serious health issues, such as chronic liver disease.
Protecting Yourself Against Hepatitis A
The best way to prevent this virus is through vaccination. Since it spreads though contact with infected blood / bodily fluids, or through eating contaminated food / drink, practicing good hand hygiene is important. Thoroughly wash your hands after using the bathroom or changing diapers, and before preparing or eating food.
Get Additional Protection with Germicidal UV Disinfection
In addition to the above preventative measures, Germicidal Ultraviolet (UV-C) surface disinfection (in the dosage listed below) can inactivate Infectious Hepatitis. Our products use STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV-C Lamps producing ultraviolet wavelengths at 254 nanometers, the region of germicidal effectiveness most destructive to harmful microorganisms.
Germicidal Ultraviolet (UV-C) Water Purification can inactivate Infectious Hepatitis in drinking water or water used for food preparation. View our application page on Well Water Contamination for more information on how UV purification can help protect your well water against this virus and many other harmful microorganisms. In places where this virus may be common, UV-C disinfection can also treat surfaces that may be infected. Restaurants, retailers, and meat processing facilities will benefit by adding UV-C surface disinfection to their regular sanitizing procedures. View our application-specific page on UV-C in Meat Processing. Another benefit of installing UV water purifiers is the ability to operate as usual during a boil water alert.
Classification & UV Dose for Inactivation
People at Risk for Hepatitis A
Although anyone can get this virus, certain groups of people are at higher risk:
- People with direct contact with someone who has Hepatitis A
- Travelers to countries where it is common
- Men who have sexual contact with men
- People who use drugs, both injection and non-injection drugs
- Household members or caregivers of a recent adoptee from countries where this virus is common
- People with clotting factor disorders, such as hemophilia
- People working with nonhuman primates
Where is it found?
What can it affect?
How can it be contracted?
Hepatitis A Symptoms
If symptoms develop, they usually appear 2 to 7 weeks after infection. While they usually last less than 2 months, some people can be ill for as long as 6 months. If symptoms develop, they can include:
- Yellow skin or eyes
- Not wanting to eat
- Upset stomach
- Throwing up
- Stomach pain
- Dark urine or light-colored stools
- Joint pain
- Feeling tired
For More Information, Visit:
- Healthline — About Hepatitis
- CDC — Guidelines & Recommendations for Hepatitis A
- CDC — Hepatitis A Overview
- CDC — Hepatitis A Fact Sheet
* Nominal Ultraviolet dosage necessary to inactivate better than 99% of microorganisms. See sources below.
- “The Use of Ultraviolet Light for Microbial Control”, Ultrapure Water, April 1989.
- Myron Lupal, “UV Offers Reliable Disinfection”, Water Conditioning & Purification, November 1993.
- Bak Srikanth, “The Basic Benefits of Ultraviolet Technology”, Water Conditioning & Purification, December 1995.
Learn More & Shop Our Products to Inactivate Infectious Hepatitis
Made in the USA from U.S. and imported parts, Germicidal Ultraviolet Water Purifiers and Germicidal Ultraviolet Air & Surface Disinfection Models from Atlantic Ultraviolet Corporation® are constructed of the highest quality materials and use germicidal UV-C lamps to disinfect water and surfaces, inactivating microorganisms like Hepatitis A.
Learn Here! Ultraviolet.com
- Download Germicidal Ultraviolet Water Documents from our PDF Library
- Download Germicidal Ultraviolet Air & Surface Documents from our PDF Library
- View all our Blog Posts for UV-C Air & Surface Disinfection
- View all our Blog Posts for UV-C Water Purification
- View all the applications that can benefit from Germicidal UV-C
- Learn about STER-L-RAY® Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps
- Learn about Germicidal Ultraviolet Safety Warnings & Instructions
Shop Here! AtlanticUltraviolet.com
- Shop UV-C Water Purifiers
- Shop UV-C Air & Surface Disinfection
- Shop STER-L-RAY® Germicidal UV Lamps
- Compare all models with our Air & Surface Disinfection Comparison Chart
- Shop Safety Products
Contact Our UV Application Specialists
- Call (631) 273-0500, Monday – Friday 7am to 6pm EST
- Email Sales@AtlanticUV.com
- Fill out our contact form